Machines are the VM building blocks for the Fly Apps Platform, but you can also configure, start and stop individual Machines directly.
The Machines API gives you efficient, low-level control over VM provisioning, supported by Fly.io infrastructure and networking features.
Machines are also the spawning ground for new platform features like wake-on-request (also known as scale-to-zero). You can stop a running machine to save on compute costs. It then may be started automatically when a request arrives at the Fly proxy.
- They can be managed by API
- They turn off automatically when a program exits
- They can be started very quickly
- Restarted machines are a blank slate - they are ephemeral
- They can be started manually, but can also wake on network access
- You can run multiple machines within an application
Get familiar with the Fly Machines API.
Examples on how to use Machines in fun ways.